Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Note from Brent




As my wife would tell you (assuming anyone reads this blog) I can create expectations for almost any event in my life. But because I was instructed on the laid back lifestyle in Africa I decided it would be best to limit my expectations.

One expectation I could not seem to get out of my mind unfolded this past Saturday. It started by simply remembering to put a soccer ball into my backpack before heading to the building site. Saturday turned out to provide a lot of sitting around time. This made my "expectation" possible.

Within moments of pulling out the soccer ball I had a crowd of boys anxiously wanting to see what was going to happen. I received help placing some bricks for goals and corner posts. I divided the group into 2 teams and indicated the start of the game by a whistle. Though mayhem ensued, the game was all I ever hoped (or expected) it to be. Kids having fun playing the game I adore.

They played with so much enthusiasm and excitement. We didn't need the side and endlines as the tall grass and new brick school created the natural boundary much further away then the ones I had created . I came away with cuts on my leg and arm and a big smile on my face. Thank God for the soccer ball donated by a soccer team in Calgary.

No comments: